Sunday, August 14, 2011

Windfall Lake Cabin 7/15-16 and 8/5-6 2011

In mid July I went camping with a dear, very pregnant friend of mine, her 4 year old daughter and her fiance. It was just a lovely mostly level 3 mile hike. We were able to make it out just in time for us to be getting dinner ready. My lil' camper was even able to make the trek all by herself.
Unfortunately, by the time we had arrived at the cabin, there was already a man all set up inside and he had 1 very large and ugly bulldog with him. Informing him that we had the cabin reserved he asked if he could sleep on the porch. I was SHOCKED! Here is a strange older man asking 3 complete strangers if he can sleep on the porch of a cabin as he had forgotten his tent. I, mouth wide open, turned back and looked at my friend who was wobbling down the steps toward the cabin. "He did not just say what I think he did! NO... NO NO NO! HAH! NO!"
Yeah, a pregnant friend getting up to puck all night long and a 4 year old. We would never get any sleep! Not to mention, we had 4 dogs with us who would be barking the entire time.
No, there is no exception. I was VERY lucky to get the cabin when I did. And hiking out to the most popular cabin, be PREPARED to stay in a tent. It is 90% booked year round.
The creepy older man slowly packed up his gear as we were waiting out on the deck of the lake trying to explain to my friend's daughter why it wasn't polite to point and that she didn't have to speak so loudly as she was pointing out the very upset and angry face of the stranger as he was shoving off and up the hill to find another campsite.

The weekend was great, I had forgotten my camera battery and had lugged my camera all the way to the cabin without it. Huge bummer. My phone lasted long enough for a few decent pictures and I took turns using my friend's camera to get in the shots we wanted.

We ate surprisingly well that weekend, no surprise, as we always eat well on camping trips.
Baked potatoes, muffins, s'mores, hot dogs, oatmeal, hash browns sausage and bacon. Yoga, canoe trips, water painting, dance sessions, blueberry picking, bird watching, and swimming were all apart of the agenda for this camping weekend.

Lots of visitors but luckily they were all very nice and respected the fact that we had use of the cabin. All very friendly.

***********************************************
The following month I went back out to Windfall Lake Cabin with my boyfriend for a romantic weekend.
We went out right after he woke. We arrived pretty early as the last couple campers were just heading out. We set up my hammock to relax and started the fire. Unpacking we realized that a few items were left unpacked and so instead of a huge fest we had to be a little cautious in rationing out our food.
We still ate well, cinnamon rolls, and muffins were made, hot dogs, s'mores, potatoes, hummus and carrots. We also packed hot cider and cocoa. I made a wonderful spiked cider and hot chocolate. Kept us quite warm. We kept the dogs in the cabin and took the opportunity to take a paddle out on the lake. We explored a little river and followed it all the way upstream to a beaver dam. It was all very peaceful.
The weather was not quite as warm as it was mid July so instead of swimming in the lake I just washed my hair off the end of the dock. We played with glow sticks and took lots of pictures swung in the hammock sipping our drinks. It was a fantastic weekend.


*** Pictures to be added at a later date***

No comments:

Post a Comment